Sunday 7 December 2008

Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen

British glam/pop band Sweet ("The Sweet" before '75) released this in '78 - a big hit.

Punk had swept almost every last vestige of the old glam rock hierarchy into obscurity, and some two years had passed since the band even looked like bothering the British chart. Their American acclaim was growing fast, however, and that year's Level Headed album emerged a magnificent slice of mature reflection, heavy and heady in equal doses. Even within such exalted company, "Love Is Like Oxygen" glittered, a harmonic rocker highlighted by an insistent guitar riff and a winter-clear piano motif. Sundry sour critics have since pointed out that its lyric was little more than a softer rock rewrite of Hall & Oates' "Grounds for Separation," but that mattered naught. Edited down to become the band's first single of the year, it shot into the Top Ten on both sides of the Atlantic.

-allmusic




Time on my side
I got it all
I've heard that pride
Always comes before a fall
There's a rumour goin' round the town
That you don't want me around
I can't shake off my city blues
Everyway I turn I lose

Chorus
Love is like oxygen
You get too much you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die
Love gets you high

Time is no healer
When you're not there
Lonely fever
Sad words in the air
Some things are better left unsaid
I'm gonna spend my days in bed
I'll walk the streets at night
To be hidden by the city lights city lights

0 comments: